Monday, March 12, 2018

We Need More Heroes

"Anyone who does anything to help a child is a hero to me."
— Fred Rogers, television personality

If you believe that statement like I do, then you need to be aware that we are in need of more heroes these days.  In the home, school, church, and community...we need men and women to rise up and do more than they have ever done to help children.

See, there is a crisis going on in our country...more like an epidemic. There are more than 130,000 children in America who have no place to call home, be it temporary or permanent.  What has our country come to that we have overlooked so many children, leaving them traumatized and in need of love, safety, and care.  They have been forced to grow up before their time.  The need, as I see it first hand, is overwhelming!

Working in foster care for the last 14 years, some of the greatest heroes I have met were foster and adoptive parents, volunteers, and mentors.  People who have been willing to go the extra mile for a child in need.  They have taken a child and loved him or her as their own, spending time, building up a child's esteem and self-worth, and helping them to feel safe and loved.

However, one of the first things I hear when fostering or adoption is mentioned is this, "I can't foster a child." I can't adopt right now." And those are legitimate statements.  I understand them completely.  But, the most interesting thing that I have found in this area of work, is that everyone can do something to help a child.  My motto for this is simple:

Adopt: if you can't adopt,

Foster: if you can't foster,

Sponsor: if you can't sponsor,

Volunteer: if you can't volunteer,

Donate:  if you can't donate,

Educate:   

In other words...everyone, young and old can do something to help the orphaned population.  Maybe you feel challenged to do something to help today.  If so, message me and I can show you how you can get involved.  You can reach me at stan_holley@yahoo.com, or on Facebook.

No comments: