Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Unanswered Questions

Living for God can cause many questions to arise that may push the limits of our faith. The older we get, the more of life we experience, the more our hearts get clouded by things we just don't understand. Let's face it, there are things in life that just do not make sense. We know many things about God's character, and then when we look out into the world, we see things totally different. For example, we know from God's word that He is just, yet the earth around us is full of injustice. Also, Isaiah 53:5 says that "He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities, the chatisement of our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed." We read that and yet look out in the world, and see so many good Christian people dying of dreaded illnesses, and that bad things happen to good people. If you allow them, all of those questions can cause your faith to waver, and you will begin to doubt the very God that created you. I am afraid that there are many people that are refusing to serve God because all of their questions cannot be answered. There are some questions that God answers for us in the scripture, such as "why do bad things happen to good people"? Matthew 5:45 says that God causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. The bottom line is, that life brings trouble regardless of your spiritual status. And certainly serving Jesus does too. Remember Job, a just and holy man, yet he lost it all and suffered great affliction and ridicule of close friends and family. And don't forget that all but one of the disciples were martyred for gospel's sake, with the exception of John, who was exciled on Patmos. During my years on earth, I have watched God heal and restore many people. Including myself and family members. Some right in front of my eyes. Yet I have also seen many godly men and women suffer many years and subsequently die. Why did the latter not receive healing? I personally believe that they did receive healing. Because the death of a believer is the ultimate healing and victory for them. All manner of pain and disease leaves them as they enter the presence of God! Plus, scripture reminds us in Hebrews 9:27 that it is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgement. (paraphrase) But even reading and hearing what God's word says still does not satisfy all of the questions that we have about life. Because I have come to realize that the answers will never satisfy us. To know why something is happening never makes it better. It only brings more questions. So how does one believe God and continue in service to Him in the midst of all of life's questions? I believe there are 3 important things we must do: 1. Know that God has a plan for each of His children. Jeremiah 29:11. I know that regardless of what happens in this old world, that God has plans to give me hope and a future. Do I know what that future looks like on this earth? No not much. If He told me all that He had for me, then I would mess it up or do something stupid to foil His plans. God doesn't need me to figure it all out. He just needs me to trust Him and follow where He leads me. 2. Don't let go of Him. Hebrews 10:23. The writer of Hebrews encourages us that we are to "hold fast the profession of our faith, without wavering, for He that promised is faithful." I have learned that God can be trusted and that it serves me well to not let go of His hand. Because when I let go, I tend to wander off course. Just like a child who lets go of his mother's hand...it only leads that child into mischief and trouble. Do not get impatient with God and quit on Him before He has finished the work in you. You are on a journey, from birth to death, and in this journey, God can and will do amazing things in and through you if you will be patient and allow Him too. Hold on for the ride...cause its a big one! 3. When you can't...He can! 2 Timothy 2:13 says that "If we believe not, yet He abideth faithful, He cannot deny Himself." This means that there will be times in life that you will not possess the faith of a mustard seed. That's right! You will experience times...and probaly already have...when its just hard to believe that God is actually going to do what He said He would. No one wants to admit that they ever feel that way. But I have many times. Some situations seem so hopeless that we can allow ourselves to get overwhelmed. But the great thing is this...that does not change God's faithfulness at all. God cannot lie. If He said He will do something, then He will do it. Period. End of story. He cannot deny who He is, or His power and especially His word. He will never go back on His word! I have lived for God long enough to have asked many questions about suffering, death, injustice, etc. Some He has answered but most He has not answered. And you know...I do not have to have all of the answers to serve Him. All I need to do is know that He has a plan for me, and I must submit myself to it. Second, I must hold on to Him and refuse to be deterred from following Him. And finally, I must understand that in the times I have no faith, He is unchanging! That's enough for me. Facing Forward! Stan

No comments: