Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Reflections of 2013

It is that time again where I reflect on the year.  It is hard for me to believe that 2013 has come and gone, with just the bat of my eyes.  To reveal all I feel and think about it would be impossible; however, I want to try to summarize some of how I feel.  These are not in any particular order.

2013 brought grief, hardship and change for me personally.  With the illness and subsequent death of my father in early January…change came.  Although I felt as if I was ready for him to go…as I had been preparing for his home-going since his diagnosis 5 years prior, I certainly was not prepared for the emotions that followed.  It left such a void emotionally in me, and I realized just how much he impacted my life, in the way I think, feel and act.  Much of my father resides in me.  However, through all the change and emotion, the Lord has been a constant since that day.  He has never left me.  I am so grateful for how He has helped my mom, brother and other family members to adjust and continue on in His plan.  God always makes a way.

Throughout my life, I have always measured myself by other godly men that I have admired.  Now, I know we are not to do that, but I do.  We all do.  In doing so, I have been reminded that there are many areas I need to work on personally. This is not a new revelation for me, but has become an urgent call for me to pursue.  It is an arduous process, but I have to make progress in improving.

I have a greater appreciation for my wife and children more than ever before.  My wife, Ketrah, was God’s gift to me 17 years ago.  She was the most beautiful bride I have ever seen.  I still remember how she looked, and how I felt.  17 years later, I still think she is the most beautiful woman in the world.  The marriage came about as a result of my prayer as a young teenager that God would give me a godly wife, who would love me unconditionally, and serve the Lord by my side in ministry.  I marvel at her determination and work ethic.  She loves as hard as she works…whether it’s me, our children, or others.  She allows God’s love to flow through her.  We provide a good balance to each other.  My weaknesses are her strengths, and vice versa.  Although we have had our ups and downs this year, I love her more than anything, and I am more committed to her than ever.  My prayer is that God will use us to touch people in whatever way He plans. 

My kids still make me laugh!  I have enjoyed watching my kids grow this year.  2 of them are just as tall as I am.  They each have such different personalities, but we have enjoyed laughing at each other and with each other this year.  I am thankful that they each love God.  My prayer is that God will help me to be the father that I need to be.  I want them to be able to say of me…as I said of my dad…that “he was faithful and a good example.”  I have got big shoes to fill and a lot of work to do.

I want to do more!  I allowed so many opportunities to pass me by this year. For most of the year, I felt as if I was walking with a cloud over my head.  Not really being able to see my way out of it.  I want this year to be different, but I know that it comes down to me.  I must choose to live outside of the cloud and to take opportunities as the Lord brings them to me. 

I appreciate the godly heritage I was given.  In a world where all the “wrong” is now the “right” things to do…I am thankful for my heritage of faith in Christ.  It is what grounds me and my family.  In this world of technology and media mess, it can be difficult to know what to believe and just what is right and wrong.  But for me it is pretty simple, what does God’s word say about it?  How does God’s word tell me to live?  That is how I am led and that is how I am to lead my family.  The Bible is still the standard with which people should live by.  It is tried and true.  Our convictions should be shaped by it.  If we are not careful, it will be very easy for us to turn away from the Bible and look to the world for guidance.  And that is how so many people will be deceived.  There is only one way, and that is Jesus!  Nothing more, nothing less.

We must fight for our marriages and families.  I have seen such an increase during the year of families being split apart.  Long-time marriages ending in divorce and parents and children deciding to part ways.  (John 10:10) says that the “thief comes but to steal, kill and destroy”.  And we as a nation are sitting back and allowing that to happen.  When is enough, enough!  A marriage and family relationship is not based on emotions or how I am feeling on a particular day…but it is based on a commitment that I have made before God to be faithful to the very end.  Now, I am not saying that it always works out.  It certainly takes 2 people willing to work on it.  But, our culture has made it too easy to give up, and it is actually the norm these days.  God help us to stay the course.  To be faithful, to love unconditionally…even in those moments when we may feel loved the least.    

God is still faithful!  I can honestly look back and see the goodness of God.  He has been faithful to me even when I haven’t.  He has been good even when I haven’t.  He has provided when I could not.  Even in the times I did not have much faith at all, He still accomplished what He promised.  (2 Timothy 2:13)
My wish for you and yours, is a safe and happy 2014!  May the blessings of God overtake you this year! I pray you look to God’s faithfulness and truth to help guide you in 2014.

Happy New Year!

Stan

No comments: