Thursday, April 5, 2012

Don't Procrastinate!

"Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today..." the old saying goes.  In other words "don't procrastinate".  It is the silent killer of many dreams, relationships, and the beginnings of new careers. It is so easy to do, but causes great stress once you have done it.  

It is the same way with our walk with Christ.  We procrastinate in praying, in spending time with Him, and in being obedient to what He tells us to do.  When we are awakened at night to pray, we roll over and go back to sleep.  When will feel that little tug on the inside of our hearts to do something, we explain to ourselves all the reasons we cannot do it until the feeling passes. And then the moment is gone.

I allowed this to happen to me a few months ago.  I was in a fast food restaurant to have lunch.  I saw this man and little girl (possibly father and daughter) standing in the line next to me.  The Holy Spirit spoke to me to buy their lunch.  I knew it definitely to be the Lord.  I know when He speaks.  But I waited.  I thought to myself..."Lord are you sure??"  "What if they say no or look at me strangely as if I have offended them?"  

I spent the next 5 minutes explaining away what God has spoken to my heart to do.  And just as I had made up my mind to obey...the man paid for their lunch and walked away.  

I cannot explain how bad I felt.  I had missed something important that God had for me that day, and only heaven knows what opportunity would have been given if I had not procrastinated and completed the assignment.  It could have been the man's soul that God was after, and not just a purchased meal.  I bowed my head in the restaurant and asked God to forgive me.  I had missed Him.

Only God knows what opportunity is waiting for you today.  Stop procrastinating your life away...waiting for the situations in your life to be right before you make your move. Situations are never right most of the time.  Something will always be out of kilter.  But do not allow that to stop you from responding to what God would have you do today.  If He called you...and He did...then He will qualify you and give you what you need to do what He has told you.

I will wrap this up by leaving you with this statement which I have heard many times:  "Delayed obedience is disobedience."

Facing Forward,
Stan

No comments: