Saturday, March 2, 2013

3 Principles from Dad's Life

It has been almost 2 months since dad went to be with Jesus, and the pain of the events from a couple of weeks before Christmas until his death, still play over in my mind daily. It all seems like a bad dream, yet when I reflect on it and the last 4 years, I see God’s grace right in the middle of it.


I have wanted to share what I shared for Dad’s eulogy on January 14, 2013…but just have not been able to bring myself to sit down and write it down. To summarize all that I have learned from dad would take an entire book. But the Lord spoke 3 distinct principles to me from dad’s life that we can all put to use in our own lives. This is not verbatim what I spoke during the service, but a summary of what I can pull from my notes.

I would be remiss, as a minister of the Gospel, if I did not share with you about a man who has impacted my life so deeply, and that man would be our dad, husband, and grandfather…Louie F. Holley.

If you knew Louie Holley for any length of time, you knew him to be a hard worker. Whether it was at home, work, or church…dad gave 100% in his work. He was a skilled craftsman. He could look at an object and build it to specifications. He was definitely a skilled carpenter that worked wanders with wood. He favorite saying was that “If it is worth doing right, it is worth doing right the first time.” His hard work is all over the former Mobile First Assembly of God Church (now City Church), from the gym to some of the cabinets, concrete curbs, walls and floors. He spent his last clear years cutting the grass there as well.

Whether he was working industrial jobs, a project at home, or his responsibilities as deacon and usher…he gave all himself to the task. He did not believe in a being idle and always found something to do whether it was the weekday or a Saturday. He loved to work with his hands.

I thank the Lord that we can draw from his life and learn that we must be hard at work in the places that God has called us. “Whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Dad also believed in talking daily with his Lord. He was a man of prayer. One of the most precious memories I have was when we were up in the country one weekend, where my dad grew up, and while walking out in the fields by the pond…dad showed me where he use to go pray after he got saved. He was saved at the age of 13, and from that time until he left for the military…spent days in the woods talking to Jesus.

During his last days in the hospital, I heard from several visitors who told me stories of the many times they were down at the church altar praying, needing an answer from God…when they felt my dad’s hand on their shoulder and dad would stay with them praying that God would touch them. One gentleman told me of how dad never seem to give up on him and was always smiling and encouraging him through his most difficult transition in life. Dad somehow knew that through prayer and persistence, God could do anything. That same gentleman, visited dad in his last few days in the hospital…laid hands on dad and prayed the same prayers over him.

The memory of dad that I have had with me for many years, happened when I was a young boy. Usually following dinner, dad would go to the living room to have his cup of coffee and finish watching the news. We would all stay in there until bed-time. One night, I could not find him. I looked all over the house and did not know where he was. He never made it to the living room. But I walked back down the hall to his bedroom. I opened the door to a dark room, and I heard my dad crying and praying for God to move in his life. I listened as he asked the Lord to make him a better husband and father, and to give him wisdom and understanding. That did not mean much to me as a little boy, but now my dad will always be 10 feet tall in my eyes. He was a real man…a godly man. He knew that the key to life was communication with his Heavenly Father. (Matthew 6:33) “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.”

Last but not least, Dad was faithful. He was a faithful husband, father, grandfather, and servant of the Lord. I can still see him standing in the back, right-hand corner of the church pews at his usher station. That was his spot where he served faithfully many, many years. I have watched him in the foyer of the church many days greeting people and handing out bulletins to guests as they came into the building. And I can see him at the altar praying for people, and ministering to others. I remember him being a faithful husband for 56 plus years to the same woman. I saw him many a Saturday mornings with his bible and Sunday School lesson in his lap preparing for Sundays. He was faithful man of God right to the end of his course. (Hebrews 10:23) “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering for He is faithful that promised." Dad has certainly seen that promise fulfilled!

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to paint dad as being perfect…because he wasn’t. He made mistakes just like we all do. But he stayed consistent with what is important in this life…hard work, prayer, and faithfulness.

And to our mother, Joy Holley, I must say that you have been a steadfast wife to our dad. You have loved him, served him and honored him your entire marriage. You have been a wonderful help mate to him. You have proven yourself to be a true Proverbs 31 woman. You are a crown to dad’s head. On behalf of the family we also honor your commitment. We love you!

God help me to keep Facing Forward in hard work, prayer and faithfulness!   Stan

No comments: